Monday, November 17, 2014

Joey Min- Indie Fight Choreographer

Every Story Has a Beginning...

When I started out making martial arts films on my own, I barely had a clue as to what I was supposed to do. Also being a big guy, I was not that confident in my abilities to perform in front of the camera. This changed when I found a guy named Joey Min online. Here I was worrying about my size while this guy, who was slightly bigger than me, was making videos left and right. His speed and technique were excellent and his fight scenes were good. Joey Min inspired me and is now a good friend, so I wanted others to know who sparked my call to action.


Can you please introduce yourself and what you do?

My name is Joey Min and I am a indie filmmaker / action choreographer.

When did you start making films and what kind?

I started making films when I was 16 and they were usually martial art videos. Though martial arts was an easy topic to translate onto film, I found myself doing other genres, from comedy to romance.

What do you like about martial arts films?

What I love about martial arts is not the application of techniques, but more on the concept of the movement of the human body. If there is such a thing as poetry in motion, martial arts is definitely my example. Now apply that to choreography and you have the amazing motion of technical mastery of one's body in a deadly dance of duel (aka it's badass to watch martial art masters fight each other).
 
 
 

What martial arts styles do you know? 

My main style is Shaolin Kung Fu for 20 years.
Senkotiros, a Filipino Martial Art, translated as "the 5 strikes," and focuses on single stick fighting, for 12 years.
Kyokushin-Kai Karate for 10 years.
Hakkyoku Ken, a Japanese interpretation to the Chinese style Bajiquan, for 8 years.
Bajiquan, for 5 years.



What do you think about film making today considering the technology now available? 

Filmmaking is definitely easier for someone to get into, but of course, the mastery is still difficult. Digital filmmaking reduces the time of process of filmmaking, so practice of the craft is much more accessible. 
 
Are there people you look up to in the field?

Since I am an action filmmaker, I usually looked up to previous action filmmakers and choreographers, like Lau Kar Leung or Yuen Woo Ping, but I also appreciate the work of directors like Edgar Wright, who I consider to be one of the great visionaries of visual storytelling and uses both imagery and auditory techniques to immerse someone into their films.


What is the hardest part about your craft?

If we're talking about the process, then pre-production is the hill that I loathe. Planning for filmmaking can help you, but those who are privy to it will tell you that nothing goes to plan. Sometimes I feel that I need to force the start of projects, even the big ones.

What is your dream project?

My dream project is to create a great romantic martial arts action comedy. Then again, that might change... since basically, what I'm doing at the moment would be what I consider to be my dream project.

Any advice for people trying the same thing?
Like martial arts, the only wasted movement is the ones not taken. If you are to pursue this art form, then do what you feel is right. It's an art form that is ever evolving that freely expresses the visions of its creators. Don't stop filming.


If you are interested in seeing more of his work, please visit his YouTube channel.

No comments:

Post a Comment