Thursday, September 4, 2014

Film Slacker Log....Day 1

And thus came into creation....THE FILM SLACKER!!!!
Welcome one and all to the blog of the Film Slacker. So was this name just a random choice or was there an actual reason behind it? The truth is a bit of both. The film Back to the Future is one of the best films from the 80's and one of my all time favorite films. From Marty McFly to Doc Brown, the movie is filled with memorable characters and quotes. One thing I remember best from Back to the Future was how the bald principal in the film kept calling the main characters "slackers".

The guy with the gun. (bttf.com)
Being an Asian American and taking film as an undergraduate, I had this stigma of being a poor student who had to rely on art; the truth was I was a great student and happened to also be a good filmmaker. As such, I decided just to take ownership of that title and make it my own. This "slacker" is someone who will amount to something.

Who is the Film Slacker?
THIS GUY! (youtube.com)
At the time of this post, I am a graduate student who likes to make film on the side. I see film as both an artistic triumph and a welcome escape at times to the annoyances of life. Wanting to be a filmmaker, the constant jab I hear is, "I hope you invite me to your red carpet screening!" While that is nice, I did not go into film making for the money. It is just a medium I like to use to tell stories from my head. It is a visual medium that can allow others to see exactly what is in my brain.

My specialty is making fight scenes and I have Jackie Chan to thank for that. Seeing Drunken Master was quite an experience for me. People who say that fight scenes should not be taken seriously need to have their eyes checked. Those that are performed well can say so much with just the movements of the actors. I intend to hone my craft and speak the physical language.

So what?! What is this blog about!?
Well alternate personality, that is an excellent question. This blog will be about independent film making in general. In upcoming posts, I intend to talk about filming techniques, review products, movies, or short films, and maybe even conduct interviews. More or less any sort of topic that tickles my fancy.
Check that creepy clip art! (clipartsfree.net)



Sit back and buckle up because where we are going, there are no roads!

No comments:

Post a Comment